Wednesday 12 May 2010

The AV Referendum

I have started this blog to concentrate on reform of our electoral system and to campaign towards a likely referendum on the Alternative Vote - which after the recent coalition agreement between the Conservatives and Lib Dems, may well happen in the next 18 months.

My aim will be to outline as simply as possible different electoral systems and their impact on results.

This will also be a place where I will provide analysis of the current first-past-the-post system and its peculiarities in terms of results. I find it interesting that there are few if any free sites providing detailed statistical analysis of general election results and in particular local government election results. I hope this changes and I will link to any I find or am notified of.

One of my pet interests is of drawing the boundaries under FPTP, whoever has this power can have a tremendous impact on the result. I will analyse Tory/Lib Dem plans to enlarge boundaries - which could have an enormous impact.

At the end of the day, I believe true electoral reform and a much more proportional system are the goals if we are to have true democracy in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment